ARTICLE 2. OTHER ANIMALS
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to keep, maintain or have in his or her possession or under his or her control within the city any poisonous reptile or any other dangerous wild animal or reptile, any vicious or dangerous animal or any other animal or reptile of wild, vicious or dangerous propensities.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, maintain or have in his or her possession or under his or her control within the city any of the following animals:
(2) Horses, donkey, and mules;
(4) Chickens except that a household may have no more than four (4) female hen chickens, no male rooster chickens are allowed;
(5) Turkeys, geese, ducks and other fowl not specifically listed;
(8) Rabbits except that a household may have no more than four (4);
(9) All animals as stated in section 2-202; and
(10) Other domesticated or undomesticated animals not specifically identified or referred to in this article.
(1) The following animals in addition to chickens and rabbits as addressed in Section 1 are allowed within the City Limits of Satanta, Kansas so long as the same are in compliance with all other rules and regulations adopted by this or another city ordinance and in compliance with State law where applicable:
(C) Fish; and
(D) Canaries, parakeets, and cockatoos.
(2) The prohibitions of this article shall not apply to bona fide pet shops, zoos, circuses, carnivals, educational institutions, veterinarian/medical offices, if:
(A) Their location conforms to the provisions of the zoning ordinance of the city.
(B) All animals and animal quarters are kept in a clean and sanitary condition and so maintained as to eliminate objectionable odors.
(C) Animals are maintained in quarters so constructed as to prevent their escape.
(Ord. 383; Code 2017)
It shall be unlawful to keep, harbor, own, or in any way possess within the city limits of the City of Satanta, Kansas the following animals:
(a) Any pit bull dog, “pit bull” being defined as:
(1) The Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed of dog;
(2) The American Pit Bull Terrier breed of dog;
(3) The American Staffordshire Terrier breed of dog;
(4) Any combination of these breeds.
(b) Any breed of Rottweiler dog.
(c) Any vicious dog, cat, or animal of any kind.
(Ord. 299; Code 2017)
Any person, firm or corporation violating any part of the provisions of this article shall be deemed guilty of a separate offense for each and every day or portion thereof during which any violation of any of the provisions of this article is committed or permitted. Upon conviction of any such violation, such person shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and punished by up to a $500 fine, a maximum of 30 days in jail, or both. As part of the sentence, the Municipal Court shall order the Defendant to remove the animal in violation of this article from the city limits of Satanta, Kansas; if not removed within the 24-hour period the Court may direct law enforcement to confiscate and impound the animal, and then either remove the animal from the city limits or destroy the same.
(Ord. 383; Code 2017)