(a) It shall be unlawful for any person under sixteen (16) years of age to loiter, lounge, loaf, wander, or play in, or upon, any public street, sidewalk, alley, vacant lot, public place, or any place open to 1the general public within the City of Satanta, whether in a motor vehicle or on foot, or by any other means, after the hour of 11:00 p.m. and before the hour of 6:00 a.m.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age but over and including 16 years of age to loiter, lounge, loaf, wander, or play in or upon any public street, sidewalk, alley, vacant lot, public place, or any place open to the general public within the City of Satanta, Kansas, whether in a motor vehicle, or on foot, or by any other means, after the hour of 12:00 midnight and before the hour of 6:00 a.m.
(c) The curfew restrictions set out in subsection (a) and (b) shall not apply under the following circumstances:
(1) When the person under 18 years of age is accompanied by his or her parent or guardian;
(2) When the person under 18 years of age is on an emergency errand and has in his or her possession a written statement signed and dated that day by the person’s parent or guardian stating that the same person is on an emergency errand and stating the nature of that emergency;
(3) When the person under 18 years of age is attending a; school or city function, or other activity under the supervision of a school or the city, and is returning home from said function or activity by way of the most direct route;
(4) While the person under 18 years of age is engaged in: lawful employment or is going to and from lawful employment by the most direct route.
(d) It shall be unlawful for a parent, guardian or other person lawfully entitled to the care, custody or control of any person under the age of 18 years of age to knowingly allow or permit such person to violate this section pertaining to curfew.
(e) Any person found guilty of violating the provisions of this section shall be punished the same as a Class B Misdemeanor under the Uniform Public Offense Code, which is a sentence of confinement in the city or county jail for a period of time fixed by the city court not to exceed six months; and instead of, or in addition to’ said confinement, a fine of not to exceed $1,000.00.
(Ord. 280; Code 2017)
(a) It is unlawful for any person to make or allow to be made, within the City limits of Satanta, Kansas any excessive, unnecessary, unusual, disturbing, or loud noise, which creates a nuisance or injures or affects the comfort, health, and safety of others, or interferes with the use or enjoyment of property of any other person, unless the making of such noise is necessary for the protection and preservation of property or the health and safety of individuals in the City.
(b) The following acts, which enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive, are hereby declared to be noise nuisances and violation of this section.
(1) The playing or permitting of the playing of any radio, television, phonograph, loud speaker, drum, juke box, auto stereo, musical instrument, sound system, sound amplifier of any kind, or device which produces or amplifies sound, when done in such a manner or with such volume or with continued duration so as to annoy, distress, or disturb the quiet comfort of persons or the peaceful enjoyment of property within the vicinity.
(2) The use of any motor vehicle, of any kind, so out of repair, or in such a manner to create loud or unnecessary noise which may annoy, distress or disturb the quiet comfort and peaceful enjoyment of any persons within the vicinity.
(3) The construction, excavation, demolition, alteration, or repair work of any building or property by use of any power tools or power equipment used in the construction, excavation, drilling, demolition, alteration, or repair work other than between the hours of 7 a.m. and 10 p.m.
(4) Any loud, excessive, unnecessary, unusual, disturbing, or distressing noises, when produced may be clearly heard from a distance of 50 feet or more. The measurement standard shall be the normal auditory senses, of a reasonable person (Words or phrases need not be discernible).
(c) The following activities, so long as they are conducted between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m., as a normal function of a permitted use, and the equipment is maintained in proper working order, are excepted from the provisions of this section:
(1) Lawn Maintenance.
(2) Repair of personal use vehicles
(3) Home repair
(4) Temporary stand-by power generators
(5) Noise caused by operators of the city of Satanta utilities, refuse company and City Maintenance employees
(6) Emergency vehicles or sirens and emergency work by City employees at any time of day.
(d) The law enforcement officers of the City, and contract law enforcement officers shall have the power to enforce the provisions of this section.
(e) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof shall be fined in an amount not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500), or be imprisoned in jail for a period not to exceed thirty days, or by both such fine and imprisonment. Each day a violation is committed or permitted to continue shall constitute a separate offense.
(Ord. 311; Code 2017)